Wednesday, September 23, 2015
UNITED FRONT OF EX SERVICEMEN : ONGOING AGITATION DUE TO NON IMPLEMENTATION OF OROP RELAY HUNGER STRIKE AT JANTAR MANTAR NEW DELHI
1. Today, we enter into 101th day of our Agitation at Jantar Mantar and across the Country to get OROP implemented as per the approved definition without any dilution.
2. You are aware that there are seven serious shortcomings in the proposed OROP implementation statement made by the RM on 05 Sep 2015. These are enumerated below :-
· Premature Retirement (PMR). RM has stated that defence personnel proceeding on Voluntary Retirement Scheme (VRS) will not be entitled to the OROP. It is pertinent to mention that VRS is not applicable to the defence personnel. What we have is the Premature Retirement (PMR). This is the National requirement to have the Military Personnel young in age. Consequently they are retired with pensions at younger ages. Therefore, all defence pensioners are very much to be covered under OROP scheme. Not only the PMR pensioners but also the disability and the family pensioners are to be part of OROP. Infact, three career progressions which have been authorised to every Govt employee as 6th CPC award is also required to be entitled to the defence personnel and all of them have to be given the pensions of three promotions.
· Equalisation of Pensions. Instead of equalizing the pensions every year as required as per the approved definition, the Govt has announced equalization after 5 years. This would totally defeat the definition of OROP. Large number of senior defence personnel will start drawing less pension than juniors. This would result in One Rank Five Pensions and not One Rank One Pension. This is not acceptable. There are softwares to overcome the administrative problems being quoted for the government.
· One Man Judicial Commission Viz Suggested 5 Members Committee. The Govt plans to order one man commission to decide on the periodicity of the equalization of pension and other anomalies and has given six months time to the commission. The purpose of such a committee is not understood particularly since all issues have been resolved as stated by RM after the file was sent to finance ministry. This is grossly unfair and not acceptable. If committee is to be ordered, it must consist of five members: - three from ex-servicemen, one serving defence personnel and one from MoD. Such committee should be given only one month period to submit its report and within 15 days thereafter it must be processed and final decision implemented.
· Base Year 2013-14. During our discussions with the Personal Secretary to the Hon’ble Prime Minister, base year 2013 – 2014 was accepted, that means as on 31 Mar 2014. However, in the Note issued by the Defence Minister, calendar year 2013 has been mentioned, that too the average of the calendar year. This would reduce the pension amounts of the pensioners specially of other ranks and widows. This is not acceptable.
· Effective Date of Implementation of OROP. The Govt plans to give arrears wef 01 Jul 2014 instead of 01 Apr 2014 The Govt has deprived the veterans three months of arrears. Once a Welfare Scheme has been sanctioned by the Govt, why is it being diluted to the disadvantage of defence veterans? Further, if the date is changed to 01 Jul 2014 then the financial year must also change to 2014-2015.
· Highest scale Viz Average Scale. It was agreed by you to grant highest of scale of rank and years the service. The Govt intention to grant average of the pay scale will greatly reduce the pensions. JCOs, ORs and widows will get hardly any increase in pension.
· OROP as Concept in Perpetuity. This is a concept which is to be executed in perpetuity. This was also agreed that the implementation of OROP is independent of Central Pay Commission (CPC). It is pertinent to mention that Pay Commission award must integrate the OROP and should not adjudicate on it.
3. Friends, we need to intensify our Agitation to express our anguish for the delayed and diluted announcement of OROP. If implemented as per the statement for the RM, it will not be OROP. Let us all join in the effort to ensure that Govt does not dilute the approved definition.
4. We need to involve the youth of the Country in our Protest Movement to ensure. Safe and Secure environments in the Country so very necessary for all round development.
5. It is a sincere call to the “Nation” to ensure that the soldier who protects the integrity and sovereignty of the Nation even at the peril of his life, is looked after so that he feels honoured to volunteer for the Profession of Arms.
6. Please share this information with the people of the country using all possible available means. It is a Movement where the citizenry has to get involved to ensure dignity and respect of the Soldiers who are remembered only in the times of danger and forgotten thereafter. .
“Heads, Hands & Shoulder………..Together”
Maj Gen Satbir Singh, SM (Retd)
Advisor United Front of Ex Servicemen & Chairman IESM
Mobile: 9312404269, 0124-4110570
(Via - Email)